Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Inner Editors

I have a wicked inner editor named Roxy. Really, really wicked. Because of her, I write, rewrite and revise as I go along.

I've tried to ignore Roxy but it just doesn't work. On my bulletin board where I can see it whenever I sit down to write is the saying "write the first draft with the heart, the second with the head" along with "don't get it right, get it written," and several others to remind myself not to stress over getting the first draft perfect. However, it really doesn't work.

The other day, it took me three hours to get 900 words written to the point I felt they were "first draft" worthy. They still need work but at least I can move forward.

Sometimes though, I can promise Roxy that' I'll come back later and fix items. I have a "Revision Notes" document I make notes in about problems and how I might want to fix them. For example, one of my characters started out working the "night" shift but later I realized it'd be better if he worked days. So, instead of going back 20 or so pages, I made a note in my "Revisions Notes" doc and continued writing as if I'd already fixed it. Working this way is a nice compromise with Roxy.

How do you deal with your inner editor? Have you named him or her? Do you let your inner editor run loose as you write or have you worked out a compromise of some sort?



Enquiring writers wants to know.

4 comments:

V.R. Leavitt said...

Roxy! Good name. I haven't named mine, but I know my inner editor looks like my 10th grade English teacher, in whose eyes I could do nothing right.

Inner editors are tough, because we do need them for those crucial editing phases, but we don't want them hanging around during the first draft.

I've been doing The Artist's Way program and it gives some tips and tricks for how to deal with the evil editor. So far they're working for me, but I'm sure we as writers will always have to contend with these demons.

Cheryl said...

Naming your internal editor, hmmm, I never thought of that. Can I just call mine, "The pain in the ass that keeps me from moving forward"? LOL!

Seriously though, I don't give my internal editor free rein. I pretty much keep writing and don't edit as I go--unless something major changes and I have to.

I've found that harder to do now that I am part of a regular critique group. I hate to lose the fresh ideas that flow from that input, so I found myself revising the first 3 chapters of my WIP, and then self-editing the next two chapters before moving on.

Cheryl

Sandra said...

No, no names.

I usually write until the words quit flowing or I need to stretch. Then I'll go back and read over what I wrote, make changes, then move on again. I've not thought much about trying to change my style with it.

Part of it is, I don't think I'm as driven as I need to be to keep polishing. That's what I try to find readers and editors for. I know they'll see things I never will.

Sandra

V.R. Leavitt said...

Roxy! Good name. I haven't named mine, but I know my inner editor looks like my 10th grade English teacher, in whose eyes I could do nothing right.

Inner editors are tough, because we do need them for those crucial editing phases, but we don't want them hanging around during the first draft.

I've been doing The Artist's Way program and it gives some tips and tricks for how to deal with the evil editor. So far they're working for me, but I'm sure we as writers will always have to contend with these demons.