Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

First Impressions

I've always heard "you never get a second chance to make a good first impression" and it's so true. 

And while this isn't a big deal, it's still something to think about.  Just what does your email addy say about you?

Does it say I'm a professional or something else?

For example...  "#1mom"  or "momof4" might be nice for general things but is this the way you want to introduce yourself to an editor or agent?

Or what about "hotmomma72" or "bigdaddyo" ???  Not quite the best first impression I have to say.

But what about something like "fantasywriterjean" or "chihuahuafan" ??? 

While it may be tempting to use our hobbies, pets or nicknames for our email addy, many times these aren't really appropriate for the professional writer.

Today I challenge you to ponder your email addy.  If it doesn't say "I'm professional" then come up with one that does.  You won't regret it. :-)

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I just created a new email address just for my query purposes. Not that my current one is 'unprofessional', but it makes it a lot less cluttered to have it confined to one email address that is closer to my real name than my every day one. Now when agents get my email it's from "Sarah K-J" instead of "Sadie Cass". :D Plus, I have a fresh mailbox to keep things organized. Of course my rejection file is all that's being filled right now...but when I start getting those requests that folder is waiting!

V.R. Leavitt said...

Good call. I had a non professional one for a while, but when I got serious about my writing, that's one if the first things I did was change the email address.

Good post.

Anonymous said...

You make a good point Jean. I have a writing email addy and a personal email addy for the reasons you stated.

Eeleen Lee said...

read this one on how-to-write-CV advice articles but you're right- it applies to writers too

Ee Leen Lee said...

read this one on how-to-write-CV advice articles but you're right- it applies to writers too