Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bad Advice

There's a lot of advice out there in the writing world on how to write.  And there's a whole lot of advice on how not to write too.  Thing is, it's darn hard to know what's good advice and what's bad, especially if you are just getting started in the writing industry. 

Often what works for one writer, won't work for another.  Take for example the "don't get it right, get it written" advice.  I don't know how many times I've spouted this one and while it works for some folks, it doesn't work for me.  I rewrite as I go along.  Yes, it takes me longer to get a complete first draft, but that's the way I work.  And, if this is the way you work best, then you must ignore that advice.

So, my question to you, what bad writing advice have you been given?  Share that advice in the comment column so we can all benefit from it.

Here's a great article that lists some other bad writing advice.

3 comments:

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

Why, I wonder, is there so much writing advice floating around anyway?

I don't see blogs about how to be a better insurance salesman, brain surgeon, or city manager.

Why writers? Are people looking for tips and tricks that will speed them past the hard work of just doing it? I wonder.

Malcolm

Unknown said...

I think there are so many articles about writing because everyone thinks they can write. Bottom line, writing, IMO, is a disrespected profession. I don't think it is disrespected purposefully, but disrespected none the less. Many believe that writing is so easy and that anyone can be a writer. Us writers know this is simply not true. Well, to answer the actual question here, no, I can't really say that I have received bad writing advice. I quess I just do what works best for me. Anything I think is strange or doesn't make sense, I just don't do. And if I don't trust the credentials of the one doing the advising, I just move on.

Cheryl

Sandra said...

I also don't know that I've received bad advice, just WAY too much of it. It has been so overwhelming that, to some extent, my brain just refuses to absorb or understand it. That and, because as you mentioned what works for some doesn't work for all, much of it is contradictory, which doesn't help.

Also, like Cheryl, I look at their credentials. If they aren't published themselves, I don't put much weight to their advice.

Sandra