Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Taking charge...



"You are responsible for the success of your writing career..
And you are responsible for it 100% of the time."
Christina Katz

This has never been more true than now. There are so many options out there for a writer, it's sometimes hard to know which direction is the one to follow.  And, publishing is changing so rapidly, it's actually hard to keep up.

As I mentioned not long ago, I've made some decisions, set some priorities, and have started setting some goals along with the steps to reach them.  I'll be sharing some of that soon but as the year is coming to a close -- Can you believe it's almost November??? -- I want to encourage each of you to consider what you want to accomplish, what you have accomplished and then make some plans to get to your goals.

For me, it meant setting aside my fantasy writing for a while and focusing on my mystery writing.   As Earl Smooter said, "You can't ride two horses with one ass." Yes, I'll still play with my dragons and such but the main focus will be mystery for a while.  And I'm happy with that.  It was the right decision for me. 

It also meant setting my sights a little lower than the "Big Six" and New York.    Yeah, it took me a while to acknowledge that, and it's still a bit irksome but there is no way I can sit and wait for NY.  By the time I got an acceptance, then wait the 18 - 24 months for the book to hit the shelf, it could be three years or more down the line. 

By going with a small press, I'll have something out much sooner, have more input in the process and since I have to do most of the work anyway, why shouldn't I get most of the earnings.  So, I'm happy with my decisions.

Again, I want to urge each of you to consider your writing goals and decide just what's the best way for you to achieve them.  Yes, some decisions may be hard to make but it will be worth it in the long run.

When I first read the quote from Christina Katz, I tweaked it a bit, made it my own.  I then typed it up, gave it a little color and shape then printed it out as bookmarks and even a "flyer" thing.  I've included the picture below.  Copy it, post it where you can see it, take control of your writing career!








3 comments:

V.R. Leavitt said...

So true! And I love your version of the quote. Too cute!!

Unknown said...

my first comment wasn't accepted so I'll just post the comment on the Facebook posting.

Lynn Hobbs Author said...

I agree, Jean. We all need to be more aware, and what better time than now?
Love the way you tweeked the quote! Great idea! :)