Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

J is for...Junk!

Ever heard the saying "one man's junk is another man's treasure?"  That's why we go to garage sales, right? There's just something about picking through someone else's stuff that is either interesting or creepy.  I can't figure out which at the moment. :-)

Yesterday I cleaned out my garage, repacked some boxes, set aside some things to be gotten rid of.  This morning a big truck from the Salvation Army picked it up and took it away to find news homes.  I was glad to see it go!

The man told me they help victims of fires, natural disasters and even those in financial crisis with the donations they receive.  That's very cool.

I don't know about you, but I kinda tend to forget them except around Christmas when they are out ringing their bells.

So today, I encourage you to do your spring cleaning, donate to a worthy charity.  You'll get rid of some things you don't need and help others who need them.  It's a win-win situation.

7 comments:

Spanj said...

We always donate to charity, and we buy from a lot of charity shops too. I love that lovely feeling of passing on something you have no need for anymore, knowing that someone else is going to love it.

Jean said...

I know.:-) One of the things I got rid of was a wooden coffee table. I'd had it at least 20 years and while it needs to be painted or refinished, it is still just as sturdy as when we originally got it.

Unknown said...

one of my fun things to do...when I have the time...is to buy a small pieces of furniture and refinish them. Right now there's a wooden desk waiting for me in the barn. I paid $10 at a neighbor's yard sale

Unknown said...

It is great that you donated so much stuff! In the future, I would encourage you to donate to someplace that isn't religiously affiliated. The Salvation Army does great work, but (at least in my area) they tend not to want to help the non-Christian folks in our community.

Great post, though. Thanks for encouraging folks to donate! Good luck with the challenge!

Dianna Fielding
Sociologyfornerds.com

Jean said...

Actually, my original plan was to donate to Goodwill but they wouldn't pick up unless I had more than half an 18 wheeler truck load. And while I had a lot of stuff, it wasn't that much. :-)

And the Salvation Army is good about helping everyone here. Lately they've done a lot for the victims of the wildfires that burned this past summer.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Unknown said...

Terrific post. Really like what you've said.

If you've the time, pop over to my blog. I'm the author of the Bella and Britt series for kids.

Francene Stanley said...

How does all this junk accumulate? When we see how much we need to get rid of it should give us a clue. Don't buy anything you don't need. Blog on!

http://francene-blogstitcher.blogspot.com