Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Mystery Monday - Midnight Snack


A while back, I was given a prompt to write a story using only dialogue. This is the result. Hope you enjoy.

Midnight Snack

            “Finally, it‘s about time you got here. What’d you tell Bill?”
            “Just that you and Dave had a fight, that you were upset and needed someone to talk to. I told him not to wait up for me, that I might stay over. Of course, he was practically asleep on the couch before I left so that’s where he’ll probably be in the morning. He’s such  a bore lately. Where'd Dave go?”
            “He didn’t go anywhere. Come on. I’ll show you. “
            “Oh god! Is he dead?”
            “Yeah, he’s dead. But I warned him. I told him what would happen if he ever cheated on me.  He asked for it. You know, he didn’t even lie about it. Said she made him feel like a real man. Well, she won’t be making him feel anything ever again,I can tell you that.”
            “Did he tell you who she is? I mean, do you know who he was seeing?”
            “I didn’t even ask. Right now though, we got to get rid of him. I saw a couple gators when I jogged over Possum Creek yesterday. We can dump him there. It’ll be days before they find him, if they ever do. Wrap the shower curtain around him.I’ve got the truck backed up to the deck. We can just slide him right in.”
            “What are you going to tell everyone? Sooner or later someone will come looking for him.”
            “Yeah, all his buddies down at Joe’s.I’ll just say we had a fight, he left and didn‘t come home. It’s almost the truth. The Johnson‘s will confirm the fight and that he left.”
            “But he did come home. What about that?”
            “They were asleep by then. A 747 could  land in their yard and not wake them. Besides, he parked in the back when he came home. Thanks to the privacy fence Dave insisted on building, they can’t see back there. Now, let’s take out the trash.”
            “God, he’s heavy. How are we going ever going to get him over the bridge?”
            “I’ve got a plan. Don’t worry. Follow me in your car.”
            “Alright, I’ll meet you there.”
            “Don’t wimp out on me. I need you. You don’t want me going to jail do you?”
            “Of course not. You’re my best friend. I won’t let you down.”

*
            “Hold onto the shower curtain. I’ll ease the truck away and he’ll slide right out. Ready?”
            “Go real slow. Oh god, oh god, oh god. He’s out.”
            “Now to get him over the bridge. Here gator, gator. Time for a midnight snack. Grab his feet, pull him up and over the rail. Leave the shower curtain, I’ll get rid of that later.There’s a construction site not far from here. They won’t notice it in the dumpster. Good, now help me shove him over.”
            “I’m going to have nightmares for weeks.”
            “No, you won’t. I mean, you only helped a friend. It’s not like it’s your fault. Oh wait, it is partly your fault.”
            “What do you mean?”
            “Did you really think you’d get away with it? That I wouldn’t figure it out? You’ve been wearing that same cheap perfume since sixth grade.  When Dave came home from his business trip last month, his clothes reeked of it.”
            “Come on, I’m not the only person who wears Temptation.”
            “True, but you were gone the same weekend. I called. Thought a girl’s night out would be fun. Bill told me about your business trip.”
            “I was in meetings all weekend. Honest. It really was a business trip.”
            “Maybe. I couldn’t prove it one way or the other so I started following Dave. The Blue Moon hotel on Tuesday and Thursdays at lunch. Then there was the day y’all didn’t even make it to the hotel. Last Wednesday wasn’t it? I always hated doing it in the front seat but you seemed to be enjoying it.”
            “I didn’t mean to…  I couldn’t help it. And he said it was over, that he was filing for divorce.”
            “It doesn’t matter. You were my best friend. There’s no excuse. No matter what he said.”
            “What are you going to tell Bill? He knows I went to your place. He’ll expect me back in the morning.”
            “You never made it to my place. Just cause you said I called, doesn’t mean I did.  Besides, once he finds out about you and Dave, he’ll be more angry than concerned.”
            “Please…  You don’t have to do this.”
            “Yeah I do. You were a good friend but it‘s too late. Now, you’re dessert for the gators. Bye Pam.”
            “I’m sor…”
            “Look out below. Open up boys, this one will make you feel like a real gator.”

 End

If you like this, you'll probably enjoy Six Pack of Murder. It's six short stories along with the opening of my soon to be released novel, Dark Descent. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job! Sure whets my appetite for Six Pack of Murder