Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Word Wednesday

I thought I'd share words with you today. Here's a few of my favorite...

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - the fear of long words. 


Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis - longest word in an English dictionary - it's a lung disease caused by breathing in fine particles of silica dust such as from volcanoes.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - this is a village in Wales and the longest place name in the world. Can you imagine trying to get this on an envelope or learning to spell it.  Makes me glad of Longview. :-)


Borborygmus - the word for those stomach rumbles.

Defenestration - the act of throwing someone or something out a window. I really like this one...


Deipnosophist: A person with excellent dinner table conversation skills.

Got any favorite words?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't get my mind around these boggling words so early in the morning.