Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

All Right or Alright

Today is the first day of the A to Z Blogging Challenge which was started by Arlee Bird.  This is my third year to take part so a big THANKS for coming up with such a great idea and sharing it with us. Y'all can check out Arlee's blog here. Now to this year's first post.

Confession time... 

I use alright a lot. And while it's alright with me, it may not be all right with those who use proper grammar. Several sources say it's a  misspelling of all right and probably stems from already and altogether, which are all right.

So...is it all right to use alright? Again, some sources say sure, some say nope. My critique group lets me use it in dialogue but make me change it the rest of the time. My advice, check with your editor. The English language is always evolving so it may become all right sooner or later.

Here's Grammar Girl's take on it. 

What about you? Do you use alright or all right?


5 comments:

Ken Farmer said...

Yep, alright for dialogue, all right for narrative. You kin git away with most 'nythin' in dialogue...if yer writin' phonetically. Just like dialogue in a screenplay. Write like people talk, screw the grammar nazis.
Ken Farmer

Sarah said...

Good point. I am a firm believer in "alright." It has a different meaning than all right. If you answer "how are you feeling?" with "alright," then it means just fine, but that everything is entirely right with you, as "all right" would imply. Grammar is, on the whole, subjective, and I say that is especially true of creative writing, even outside of dialogue. Maybe not in academic articles. And most will disagree with me, but I don't really care. I do, after all, have reasons for making my choices! Use "alright" as much as you want, I say! Together we'll use "alright" and change the world! =) I'm doing a collaborative story on my blog for the Challenge, so feel free to stop by, add something to the story, and use "alright" as much as you want!

Pam Williams said...

I use alright. Interesting question. Made me think.

Unknown said...

all right, already. This kind of quibbling always makes me break out in a rash...and that includes the whole 'comma' thing.

Jacklyn Cornwell said...

Uh, no. All right.